Tuesday 24 March 2015

Day five.. 24/3/2015

This morning I was with a year 10 GCSE class working one to one with a boy. He had to create two sculpture pieces as his final models to show in his end of year exhibition, running alongside of his art work had to be a 40 page development sketch book full of artist research, mark making and drawing work, initial ideas and final ideas all leading up to his final piece, I found this particular structure plan very interesting as it was so different to when I was in school doing my own GCSE’S, I felt it was such a little amount of work to have to complete and was shocked by the whole of the class and there little amount of interest with what they were doing even them not having much, I explained how I had double maybe even triple the amount of work that they have to do as well as no structure plan like they have, they couldn’t believe it, this made me think again about my own workshop and how the whole day is going to have to be structured from start to finish, as they aren’t used to being left free, this goes for all years, and is going to have to be something I seriously consider when I’m teaching for my assessment as I really want all the students as well as myself to get the most out of the day as well as the day running as smoothly as possible no matter what year group I get set to work with.  
   
The picture above is one of the sculptures I helped paint during this mornings double lesson, The broken ketchup bottle is focused on the artist Andy Warhol, using the colours and style of print/painting that he uses together we mixed up the right shades and tones and finished of this piece of work. It was a great feeling helping someone out, knowing that I was making a positive impact on what grade the student would receive at the end of his project.   

This afternoon consisted of being in the textile room, the first part of the afternoon was with two A level textile girls preparing for their upcoming exam, this is a real concern of mine, I don’t feel that this subject is getting pushed as a single subject enough and is just coming under the department of technology and not many students are even remember you can opt to choose it as a GCSE subject, because of this they then are forgetting completely about A level, other subjects could be getting put in front of it and classed as more important, it’s not being offered or spoke about enough. Another problem for the textile department that I have picked up on is space and time of staff, again from this lesson I noticed the great amount of structure for the two A level students, it got me thinking that for my own workshop I would like to teach the students more textile techniques so that new ideas are being introduced to the school, this then might change the percentage of students who want to do this subject. Here I was able to discuss textiles and the new project challenges we could bring to the school, with the challenge of developing the textile part of the school, this was something I really enjoyed as I felt a massive part of something, my opinion really mattered and was properly being taken into consideration.
The last part of today was a lesson with a year seven class who were making sock monsters, this wasn't something I had ever done before, I really enjoyed working one to one with a little girl, putting my very own skills of embroidery to use, I loved helping her make the best sock monster, teaching her new simple applique ideas, she was able to apply them to her work and would be something she could use again in future projects. Together we came up with a plan of what she was going to do for the rest of her textile project including paper and design work, as well as adding cute little extras to her monster such as a dress, shoes and maybe even a cute little string wig of some kind, she was exited to use the ideas I told her and continue with the project in her following next four weeks. (The picture below is a representation of me and my students sock monster.) 





No comments:

Post a Comment